MagicStar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

References for Battles and Environments.

Go down

References for Battles and Environments. Empty References for Battles and Environments.

Post  Ember Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:55 pm

Hey there, Ember here.

Okay, are you having trouble trying to find a literate way to say something?

People mainly have trouble articulating battles, that and surrounding environments. I don't know why this is, but it just is.

But I'll give you a little help, 'kay? Cool

Writing about battles.

Don't be afraid to get reference! Youtube is an extremely good help.

I'll use some physical combat to start with.
Physical Combat is hard to write about, as it's hard to literately harness the sheer strength that is packed in a punch or a kick, and the harder part is, it never starts in the hand or foot.
When an experieced Martial Arts fighter punches, the kinetic strength actually starts in the feet, and travels up the arm into the punch. Because the power increases as it travels, it can result in quite a hard blow.

With kicks, alot of the power is sheer momentum. Feet and elbows are two of the most dangerous parts of the body to attack with, and if you hit in the right place, they can result in immediate knockouts.

Look how the feet and hands work in this video. How quickly does the leg move, and how does the momentum of the spins affect the strength? Where are the weak spots in the body?

Simply looking and referencing at that video can probably fill you with ideas.

Writing about Surroundings and Environments

Okay, surrounding environments are pretty hard, because if you don't get it right, it can change the whole mood of the Roleplay.

I'll use a forest as an example.

If it's a bright and sunny day, dew on the leaves and fronds of a forest will most likely be reflecting with a bright shine. The whole forest will be illuminated from the light of day, and most likely create a cheery and active environment.
However, if it's the dead of the night... Then there will be an eerie glow from the dew, and the moon will probably be just as creepy. Lots of nocturnal creatures also have a natural camoflauge or something to scare predators away.
Which, obviously, will scare the pants off a good few people.

This video is quite a good reference. It illuminates rushing waters and steep hills, and dense forests.

Look how water rushes clumsily around rocks. Water isn't actually very graceful at all, if anything, it's very cumbersome and noisy. It will either rush around a rock, or engulf it.

If you simply look at these things, you can get plenty of ideas. ^.^

I hope that this helped you, even a little. If you need any further help, simply comment what you need help with, and I'll be glad to give you a hand. Cool

Happy writing!

~ Ember
Ember
Ember

Back to top Go down